At 03:03 PM 12/16/03 -0500, David W. Fenton wrote:
>You've described a whole set of methods for doing all the things that
>Expose does in a unified fashion, with a UI that is more intuitive
>than task switching, tiling and taskbar manipulation.

I see. Since I tend to adapt fairly quickly to whatever's put in front of
me (once I'm told the rules), I have little preference. Nothing's more
intuitive than anything else, is it? It's all custom and acculturation.
When I moved from CLI to GUI, I found GUI totally non-intuitive, what with
2D spaces and a pretend 3D desktop. All cartoons.

What would get me to move away from Windows?

Two big things.

Multiple mouses/cursors and manipulation devices. I have a mouse (right
hand), a trackball (left hand), and a tablet (right hand) on my machine --
and they all move the same cursor and do the same clicking. I want them
assignable to separate kinds of tasks and multiple cursors (damn those
on-screen mixers with only one mouse!). Does the Mac do this? That would
get my attention. More pretty GUI won't; never did.

Virtual cross-wiring scripting (not programming) language so that I can get
any programs to act on any other program's information, in real time,
regardless of what kind of information it is. (I just restored a bunch of
my own recordings from the 1980s, and realized how much more control I had
over information and computer input/output with a few simple commands.) I'd
like to play back my text files, or convert images to audio, or Finale data
to drawings -- all as I'm working on them.

>I think it's similar to the way Internet Explorer users don't
>understand why Mozilla users are so attached to tabbed browsing -- if
>you haven't used it, you won't be able understand how much it changes
>the user experience.

I use Opera because it's configurable. Give me a configurable UI and I'll
always be happy. :)

Dennis