On 08 Feb 2004, at 05:27 AM, William Roberts wrote:

If some of us on this list seem a little bit bitter about
Sibelius, it is because when they burst on the scene, they made
extravagant claims about the superiority of their software -- claims
that turned out to be completely untrue.

I can see how that might be frustrating, but isn't that just marketing? I don't believe Coda's claims about each new version of Finale any more than I would claims about the new version of Finale.

Well, there's marketing, and then there's marketing. Obviously, both companies engage in their fair share of hype, but to my knowledge Coda have never out-and-out lied about Finale's capabilities, nor have they lied about Sibelius's deficiencies. Sibelius has done both of these things pretty blatantly. In my opinion, they crossed the line from hype to outright dishonesty. I realize that that doesn't have anything to do with the merits of the software itself, but it does color my opinion of the company.

I rely on real actual users of the software to let me know how it really works -- and that's a big part of the reason why I spent the time to reply to Jonathan's list. It's not because I want everybody to use Sibelius (heck, I don't use it for everything myself, and it's clear that there are still things Finale can do that Sibelius can't), but I don't see how having misinformation like Jonathan's list floating around does anything but reinforce existing prejudices.

Look, William, I understand your frustration here, but as I've already explained, Jonathan was *asked* to post his list here again (by several people, I believe). He was originally reluctant to do so precisely because the list was out-of-date, but people asked him to post it anyway. Also, like I said, the list was *not at all inaccurate* when he originally posted it -- which was several years ago, back when Sib 1.4 was current. I'm sure that part of the reason he consented to post it again was generate responses such as yours -- which was much appreciated, by the way. The whole point of the exercise is for people like myself, who have not used Sibelius in several years, to find out what has changed, and your posts have been extremely helpful in that regard. But I can assure you, no one is deliberately going around trying to spread misinformation or reinforce existing prejudices.

Well, I can't comment on Sib in OS 9, but in OS X Sibelius 3 is really fast (apparently thanks to using OpenGL for screen display)

That can't be it -- every Quartz Extreme-capable Mac uses OpenGL to draw the screen in every application. But this doesn't make apps like Finale and Sibelius redraw the music faster -- it only accelerates stuff like moving windows around, or displaying transparent UI items, or accelerating eye candy like Exposé or minimizing to the Dock. If Sib 3 is faster, it's due to optimizations in the drawing routines, but that's nothing to do with OpenGL (at least, as far as I know).

Anyway, glad to hear that it *is* faster.

- Darcy

-----

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn NY