On 19 Jan 2005 at 8:18, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> Could there be a problem not only with the File Overwrite bug, but
> with the Finale Temp Files getting bloated/corrupted over the course
> of an extended Finale session, causing performance degradation AND
> problems such as the File Overwrite bug?

There is unquestionably a connection, as the way Finale temp files
work is that there is a group of temp files that is shared by all the
files that are open. This means that each temp file contains parts of
several different files. When it was explained on the list, the
justification was that this greatly increased performance when
copying between files (since it was all happen within the same temp
files).

I know of no other applications that use temp files in this fashion,
and it seems obvious to me that the pointers that keep track of which
pages of which temp files belong to which real files are getting
messed up somehow. Of course, identifying the likely cause is likely
saying the cause of death of a person was a gunshot to the head -- it
still doesn't tell you who pulled the trigger.

> Please let me once again repeat my request to do away with temp files
> and instead have Finale store that information in RAM -- at least as
> an option.  (We used to be able to do that in OS 9 with a RAM Disk,
> but RAM disks aren't effective in OS X.)

RAM disks wouldn't change anything at all, since it would just be
moving the temp files from a physical drive to a virtual drive in
memory.

> It seems like many of the stability and corruption problems in Finale
> have to do with the way it handles temp files, which are a bit of an
> anachronism in any case.  Perhaps some of these problems could be
> solved by using RAM instead of disk space?

I can't think of any non-trivial application that I use on a regular
basis that does not uses temp files. In the case of database
applications (which is what Finale is), it's definitely part of the
only workable architecture because of commit/rollback issues.

In short, there's nothing old-fashioned about temp files at all.