David W. Fenton / 05.1.22 / 07:37 PM wrote:

>Mac users are probably confused about virtual memory because of the
>way it was bolted onto Mac OS as an extension that often conflicted
>with applications.
>
>You're now living in a completely different world, one where the apps
>don't know anything about managing system memory at all. They only
>know about their own memory requirements.
>
>Keep in mind that under OS X you don't have to set the amount of
>memory to be allocated to an application (as was the case with Mac
>OS). This is a direct indication of the fact that memory management
>is now wholly owned by the operating system itself.

I don't think you understood me.  You seems to think I was talking about
Classic Mac OSes, while you are clearly based on NT Kernel.  Did you know
OSX blocks swapfile allocation in 67.1MB each for first two, then size
multiplies after, i.e., the 3rd is about 135MB, and the 4th is about
268MB, and so on.?  It's not like NT Kernel does at all.  And, as I said
before, there are some apps that calls vm at launch, and the vm size
never changes after that regardless of the presence of available physical
memory and the size of the project file.

And to your other post, as far as I know, OSX did not take vm
architecture from BSD kernel, which was the base design of Darwin Kernel.

Oh, and when OSX runs out of physical memory and vm space, it will warn
you that you need to exit open applications to free up the memory space,
but it will continue to run with, as you said, slow performance if one
ignores the warning :-)

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>