On Jun 10, 2005, at 11:16 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

On 10 Jun 2005, at 1:58 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

Perhaps this is a problem of Kontact's integration on Mac OS. I keep hoping for updates (Kontact -whatever that is, and why should I have to know about it at all? - or Finale 2006) to solve this irritation.

Garritan is -- effectively -- not much of a software company at all. What they do is record samples from live instruments, and design sample libraries for playback (keyswitching, etc). But they don't make the software that actually plays back the samples.

That software is made by a company called Native Instruments, and the software used by GPO is based on a Native Instruments product called Kontakt. The version of Kontakt included in GPO is a "lite" version called "Kontakt Player" -- it lacks the advanced features of the full version of Kontakt, which is a very expensive piece of software (more than twice the retail price of GPO!). However, the version of Kontakt Player included with GPO has also been specially customized for playing back GPO instruments.

Unfortunately, Kontakt Player performs incredibly poorly on existing Mac hardware. It is a quick-and-dirty port of PC software and has not been optimized for the Mac at all.

The full version of Kontakt was recently updated to version 2.0, and that version apparently contains (badly-needed) optimizations for G4 and G5 processors. Eventually, Native Instruments will make a new version of Kontakt Player for GPO based on Kontakt 2.0, and eventually that version will be released -- hopefully as a free download for existing GPO users.

(Gary can probably tell you a lot more about this than I can!)

That's a clear explanation - and news that makes me optimistic about forthcoming "transparent" improvements at little or no further expense.

Thanks.

Chuck

- Darcy
-----