Phil Daley wrote:

At 3/31/2006 12:43 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:

 >OK, you started this one, so you can answer it first - how DO you define
 >music?

Pitch and rhythm.  Words are secondary.

Rap has rhythm.  End of story.

Rap has pitch -- the same sort of subtle changes of pitch which Schoenberg pioneered in his "sprechgesang" works.

But you know what? The rap artists aren't sitting around dissing the Finale users, I'll bet!

Funny, how people put down that which they can't understand and to which they can't relate:

Dylan said it best:
"Mothers and Fathers throughout the land,
Don't criticize what you can't understand.
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command,
The old road is rapidly aging.
Please get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand,
For the times, they are a-changing."

Personally, rather than put down the music that my children listen to, I listen to it with them. I try to see what it is about their world that makes that music so appealing to them. And I try to give them additional tools to deal with it so they don't turn to drugs and alcohol to forget the ugliness and escape the fact that they and their friends face a future of minimum-wage service-industry jobs, even with a college degree. What's a liberal arts major say? "Would you like fries with that?"

With a president like George Bush, a war like the Iraq war, a Congress which is obviously bought and sold and doesn't give a flying f$%k about the citizens who put it there and pay their oh-so-meager salaries, is it any wonder that kids turn to rap music?

Man, if I were 16 I'd sure be listening to it, too, just to escape from the crappy world their parents and grandparents are handing them.

Music? Who the f#$k cares if it's music? It helps them deal with the world, just as Bob Dylan (I certainly can't call his vocals any ideal role model for a musical world!) and Jim Morrison and Jimi Hendrix and Buffalo Springfield and the Byrds, and on and on and on, did for me when I was 16 and scared to death about dying in some east-Asian jungle 2 years later.

The world changes, but human nature remains the same. The arts push the limits on acceptability, the youth push the limits on what's possible, the old need to "get out of the new road if we can't lend a hand."

Of course, David Bowie, 20 years later, said the same thing with a different sound:

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their world,
Are immune to your consultations, they're well aware what they're going through."

--
David H. Bailey