At 7:49 AM -0500 3/31/06, Lawrence David Eden wrote:
I think that what we are discussing here comes under the category of musical taste as well as music literacy.

My daughter is an accomplished high school musician. She plays beautiful flute and sings 1st soprano in her school's madrigal group and choir...but you probably don't want to copy her iTunes folder! I can't believe some of the garbage she listens to. When I compare this to the popular music that I grew up with in the 60's, I am appalled at what passes for music today.

Oh, but parents were appalled at what passed for music in the '60s and '70s (and '80s, I can assure you!), and preachers thundered against Rock 'n' Roll as the ruination of our youth, and my father and I really enjoyed the middle-of-the-road dreck that passed as popular music in the '40s and '50s (Sing Along with Mitch, two, three, four), and preachers thundered against Ragtime and Jazz and bobbed hair and short skirts as the ruination of our youth, etc., etc., ad infinitum. What you're saying is that your daughter's age group is more open minded and inclusive in their definition of music, and isn't that a Good Thing?

"Well, ya got trouble my friends, right here, I say trouble right here in River City ..."

John (a classical musician who spent 20+ years as a professional entertainer)

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music