dc wrote:
I just can't believe that Finale can't handle melismas!

Finale can handle melismas, it's together with AMS that it won't work. If you manually decide which spacing should go where and apply it in region it will work.

Uncheck "avoid collision of lyrics" causes many more problems than it solves. Your #2 recipe may work, but I don't think I'd like to have to apply it to all the melismas. So I'll either go back to 2007... or look into some other software sold for a song not long ago.

If you want to evaluate other software, make sure to check out PriMus. It was released yesterday. In many areas (such as layout), it's much much better than Finale or Sibelius, although it also lacks many other things that you take for granted. But it has very good MusicXML support.

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson