I agree Fin2k2 was good, but many of the subsequent enhancements are
one I could not live without (esp. auto-positioning of expressions
and, yes, linked parts.)

I think those who denigrate linked parts are missing the point. Of
course linked parts is only partially implemented, but the question is
whether that partial implementation is valuable on its own terms. Is
it viable to have a single document containing both score and parts?
The answer is usually a resounding NO.

But what is completely viable, even easy, is to have one document for
your score and another document for *all* parts. This is so
self-evidently a vast improvement over the situation that obtained
before that I wonder why it seems continually necessary to justify it.
Just to cite a few reasons:

1. If I need to change the File Info (title, copyright date, edition
number, etc.) I now need to modify only 2 files instead of umpteen.
2. Same for any common text that typically appears on Page 1.
3. I easily can print all parts at once. (Or generate separate PDFs
for all parts at once.)
4. Creating cues is MUCH easier with all the parts in one file.
5. Same for making revisions. Even substantial revisions, such as
adding or removing bars, go much faster with all the parts in one
file. Yes, you still must separately edit all the page layouts for
each part, but everything else about it goes faster.

If your Mac still supports Classic, I don't know why you can't run
Fin2K now. As you move into the Mac Intel or Leopard world, your best
option will be SheepShaver. SheepShaver will probably run Fin2K as
well as Classic does, perhaps better in some ways. But printing from
SheepShaver is not pretty, and I have no idea if SheepShaver supports
MIDI. My guess is, not easily.