On 20 Oct 2009 at 19:39, dhbailey wrote:

> in the list of fixes, the claim is made that the User
> Manual now opens in the default browser.  If that's true,
> it'll be a long-standing gripe resolved.  And makes me
> wonder why it couldn't have been done a couple of versions
> ago, when they went to HTML help files in the first place.

I think a number of us have offered plausible explanations more than
once. If an application developer chooses a set of tools to produce
cross-platform help files, and the tools are limited in what they can
do in regard to browser-agnosticism, then the developer can end up
with a situation like that which so many have complained about for so
long.

If MM didn't use such tools, I would guess that they would likely
have been unable to produce the documentation as quickly or as
accurately. Obviously, the development team made the determination
based on their knowledge of all the trade-offs involved that it was
better to cause the minor annoyance of opening in one particular
browser on Windows instead of using the default browser than it was
to pay whatever the price would be to avoid that annoyance.

You don't know what the trade-offs involved were, so you can't really
judge if it was the best decision.

My guess is that it was the best they could do with their limited
resources.

It's just too bad they couldn't have made whatever adjustment was
necessary to avoid the problem much, much sooner.