On 24 May 2011 at 8:04, Eric Dannewitz wrote:

> Actually, what is meant is that you can simply take the hard drive out
> of one Mac, say an iMac, and have use it on a macpro. It boots up just
> fine. Windows can't do that as far as I know.

It can if you have the same hardware, as you do with Macs.

But because Windows PCs are not a closed and proprietary system,
that's simply not the case -- you can't do it except if the machines
are very close siblings (as are most Macs).

> So the system disk on my
> 2006 iMac, which has smart music registered on it, I can take home and
> boot my macpro off that drive and it just works.
>
> Though most people would probably use the great migration tool apple
> has where you simply connect a FireWire cable between two macs and it
> will copy all your apps, docs, and settings to a new Mac

I see this feature as a nice recovery/emergency feature, but not as
something that makes a Mac superior to a Windows machine.

By the way, corporations find value in this, and tend to buy large
numbers of identical computers so that they can do exactly this
(though they wouldn't swap a hard drive -- they'd just re-image a
system). But for individual users, it's usually not practical as the
benefit is not great enough to justify the additional expense of
limiting oneself to a particular vendor's product line.