David,

I generally agree with your comments on this subject.  But I really
don't think this is a Wall Street play in this instance.  I think it is
a case where Finale as an independent company could not find a business
model that worked consistently.

It seems to me that this SHOULD have worked.  There are a lot of people
who have minimal notation requirements, and they have always dabbled at
the fringes (Rhapsody, Encore, etc)  For them, MuseScore is probably
adequate.  So that does take a lot of buyers out of the potential
market.  I would have thought the two biggest segments are churches
(choir directors) and schools/universities.  Evidently neither Sibelius
nor Finale was able to present a proposition to these segments that
brought in enough revenue to fund continued support and development.  I
would argue this is because they spread their efforts too thin and
brought relatively little value to the market over the past 10 years.
There is always a debate about "what might have been."

That leaves the hard core users, who are professional or at least
semi-professional copyists, songwriters, arrangers, show producers,
sound track writers and so on.  Unfortunately this may be just too small
a market to work.  We are loyal of necessity, mainly because there is no
other alternative.  But it seems clear enough that Peaksware is
interested only in milking the cash cow.  Had they the slightest
interest in returning the product to a leading position, they would have
presented some kind of vision to the market by now.

The good news, if there is any to be found, is that there is a very
important segment that was overlooked by both Finale and Sibelius.  This
is writers and producers who work primarily in the DAW space. That is a
rapidly growing market. Their compositional workflow is quite different
from the typical Finale workflow.  They compose intuitively and
interactively.  But some of them have a need for notation.  It is just
that notation is toward the end of their work flow whereas it is the
beginning of the average Finale user's workflow.  And I believe that is
the reason Steinberg has been willing to make a much bigger investment
than Makemusic and Avid combined in the past 2 years.

My prediction is that we will never see another significant notation
release (patches or new features) from Peaksware, although they are
likely to push Smartmusic along.  If we do see a significant new release
from Peaksware, I bet it will be within 9 months of the commercial
introduction of the Steinberg product.