-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Lux
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Power SDR w/other radios

Quoting k5nwa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 08:40:44 AM PST:

> Jim Lux wrote:
>>
>> The IC7000 *is* a software defined radio, just the software happens
>>  to be a prom that is not user changeable.
>>

>> jim, w6rmk
>>

> Darn what ever happened to words having meaning, I guess that went with
> the politically correct crowd.
>
> Software is "soft" versus Firmware which is "firm" and not changeable
> on the fly. Then there is hardware which is wired together therefore
> very hard to change at all.
>
> So if you allow words to mean what they say a Software Define Radio
> must have it's code in RAM so it can be easily changed hence "soft".

What about if it's stored in EEPROM?  Changeable (soft), yet static (firm)

At work, we've sort of gravitated to
software -> code that runs on a CPU
firmware -> what's inside the FPGA
hardware -> what's been soldered

This still leaves open a lot of discussion (what do you call something
that runs on a microcontroller instantiated in a FPGA or on one of the
powerPC cores in a Virtex Pro?)

Is Verilog software and the compiled bitstream firmware?

And, this varies from some common other usages:
hardware -> what cannot be changed
firmware -> what the manufacturer can change at manufacturing time,
but users cannot
software -> what the user can change, post delivery

To a certain extent, in the business world, the semantics are driven
by institutional requirements.  Most places have different validation
and test requirements for hardware and software (not much point in
pyro shock or environment testing software, code walkthroughs don't do
much for RF hardware designs).  But there's always those boundary
cases.. Is a CPLD a hardware component and the logic that defines its
function software? Or, is the "programmed part" the hardware
component. What about a anti-fuse programmed Actel part?  What about a
Xilinx or Altera with configuration RAM loaded from an offboard EEPROM.

  There's a sort of bifurcation in configuration management too.
Hardware has drawing trees and the like.  Software has code
repositories and tools like CVS,SVN, SourceSafe.

And there's other issues: How do you define interface control
documents with the logic able to be changed at run time? For a complex
ASIC you can create a datasheet that lays out the control and status
registers and the timing behavior, etc..  What about that same
function instantiated as part of a bigger design in a 6 megagate part
like a 6000 series Virtex 2.

Such issues are what I get paid to work on these days..for spacecraft
radios, NASA is a small volume customer that is thrifty, much like
hams, so we can't just dictate "thou shalt do X" (like DoD can, buying
radios in billion dollar lots), but we still want to get some of the
benefits of open software/firmware standards for those radios. We also
are like hams in that we want long useful life for the hardware (We
want to use that spare $2M radio we bought for the 1998 mission that
we have sitting on the shelf for a 2010 mission.  Read "really cool
thing I found at a hamfest 2 years ago").  Just like hams, we also
like to have all the functioning and internals laid out for us so we
can tinker and modify, or just understand what it will do in an
off-nominal situation(i.e. no magic proprietary modem ASIC).  We tend
to be concerned about efficiency because space qualified processors
are a couple generations, if not more, behind... we're just starting
to use a 100MHz SPARC V8 as a bold advance from a 25 MHz SPARC V7, no
multi GHz Intel CoreDuos or AMD QuadCores flying to Mars or Jupiter
any time soon. And besides, when all you've got is a 200W solar panel,
you don't want to burn all your Joules on computing..you want to leave
some to run that RF Power Amplifier.

Our challenge is figuring out what the right level of abstraction and
specification is.  Too general, and the standard is worthless.  Too
specific, and the compliance cost to conform exceeds any of the
speculative savings from having a standard.  The manufacturers all are
more than happy to quote you a price to comply to whatever standard
you care to give them.

> This reminds me of an discussion I had with a fellow on another list,
> he called the SDR-1000 a Superheterodyne receiver instead of a Direct
> Conversion Receiver. The only problem with his argument was that the
> "Super" in Superheterody does not stand for "great" it stands for
> Supersonic, or beyond hearing which unfortunately the SDR-1000 fails.

And hey, since there's another mix and filter operation in the
software, is it a single conversion or double conversion receiver?
What if the A/D sampling operation is used as a downconversion (in
"bandpass sampling").  Many oxen are gored, many ricebowls spilled,
etc, from such descriptions, if only because the terms come with some
baggage from previous experience. (That's why Analog Devices and Maxim
describe their I/Q parts as Zero-IF rather than direct conversion,
because "everyone knows that DC receivers are evil.")

Jim, W6RMK