--- Jim Lux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, terms like SDR get bandied about quite a bit with
> different
> people meaning different things.  Here's some background.
> <flame suit on.. this gets controversial>

For me personally, Joe average(?) ham, I'm not really that
concerned with all the hair splitting definition semantics of
what SDR is or isn't. To me it all really comes down to
simply this:

"It's all about the 'S' in 'SDR'. And the if the 'S' isn't
routinely changing the 'D' significantly, then all you have
left is just 'R'".

So for me most of my future radio dollars will be directed
toward radios with lots of mfg.
supported/encouraged/permitted activity in the realm of the
'S' & 'D', the 'R' will then take care of itself. A lot of
ham radios that do fit the typical definition of 'SDR' are
failing miserably when it comes to my stated position above.

And I'm finding it increasingly difficult to even consider
radios that have large HW constraints to their SW
define-ability.

Duane
N9DG