Quoting Duane - N9DG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on Tue 20 Nov 2007 08:56:38 AM PST:

> --- Jim Lux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Actually, terms like SDR get bandied about quite a bit with
>> different
>> people meaning different things.  Here's some background.
>> <flame suit on.. this gets controversial>
>
> For me personally, Joe average(?) ham, I'm not really that
> concerned with all the hair splitting definition semantics of
> what SDR is or isn't. To me it all really comes down to
> simply this:
>
> "It's all about the 'S' in 'SDR'. And the if the 'S' isn't
> routinely changing the 'D' significantly, then all you have
> left is just 'R'".
>
> So for me most of my future radio dollars will be directed
> toward radios with lots of mfg.
> supported/encouraged/permitted activity in the realm of the
> 'S' & 'D', the 'R' will then take care of itself. A lot of
> ham radios that do fit the typical definition of 'SDR' are
> failing miserably when it comes to my stated position above.
>
> And I'm finding it increasingly difficult to even consider
> radios that have large HW constraints to their SW
> define-ability.

You're not alone.

There are some practical problems.. sometimes the hardware constraints
come from some performance reason (however, semiconductors are getting
better every day..20 years ago, a 10 MHz A/D with 10 bits was really
awesome.  Now you can get 14 bits at 1GHz).  We're probably a ways
from the HF nirvana of the 30 bit converter at 125 MSPS where you hook
an antenna to the A/D, and you're done.  Likewise, high power
amplifiers have their idiosyncracies that are not all entirely
compensatable in software.

Probably a bigger issue is the legal one.  Hams are a small volume
market compared to radios in general. The radio in general market has
regulatory restrictions on just how flexible that radio can be to
prevent users from just loading up a version of the software that
radiates out of band or receives where you're not supposed to be
listening.  So, a manufacturer that is trying to leverage commercial
radio designs for the ham market (since the ham market can't support
huge R&D budgets) winds up building radios that inherently are
not-user-modifiable. And, there's the Part 15 rules, too. (having the
software in mask rom or OneTimeProgrammable PROM makes it easier to
pass FCC muster for ham rigs.)

It's instructive to look at all the hoops that Icom had to jump
through to get the IC-7000 approved.. their filings are on the FCC
website.

Think of the complexities in modern autotuning HF amplifier designs..
they have little microcontrollers that sense the RF frequency and turn
the amp off if you're out of band, and you can bet that
microcontroller isn't something you can easily modify.

We're faced with a real challenge.. It's easy to build a software
radio based on a PC and a simple LO/QSE/QSD like the Flex or SoftRock
that has instantaneous bandwidth of over 100 kHz.  Even if you put
(closed non-modifiable) firmware into the DDS control that restricts
the DDS frequency to the ham bands, you could receive and transmit 50
kHz outside the bands.  Historically, this hasn't been a big problem
(transmitting) because the radios were inherently narrow band.  Even
if you were set on LSB, and tuned the VFO to 7.0000 MHz, the most you
could do is transmit something at 6.995 or so.  So the regulators have
guard bands between the allocations and spurious emissions
requirements to accommodate this.

The last thing we want the regulators to do is mandate hardware
frequency limits (e.g. filters).  Nor do we want them mandating
nonmodifiable firmware/software to achieve the same thing.

Jim, W6RMK