In topic Re: [Flexradio] CW QSK ability
At 11:24 AM 4/25/2008, Dave Blaschke wrote:
>OK, here is my final word on this topic.
>
>PowerSDR/SDR-5000 is an outstanding performer, in my opinion. So it
>is my hope that this QSK topic will be given due consideration by the
>PowerSDR programming team. CW may be dying, but we CW operators are
>not. Guys, don't let this deficiency go un-noticed. If SDR-5000 is to
>be a serious competitor it must demonstrate equal, or better,
>performance in this CW QSK area also, as it does in almost all other areas..
>
>Dave, W5UN

Considering the following statement from
http://www.flex-radio.com/Products.aspx?topic=f5k_features :

"Designed from the ground up to be a true full duplex radio that can
transmit and receive simultaneously without a second receiver
installed. With this capability, the FLEX-5000 is now the ultimate CW
rig ever made. "    [Note the statement _NOW_ the ultimate]

And the post here on May 21 of last year, in which Bob McGwier said:

"With the Flex-5000... ...,  the cw transmitter sounds like a
sidetone inserted into the receiver which recovers instantly.  In
fact, we got it to switch so fast that we were hearing the TX carrier
leakage... ... in the receiver after key up.   The Flex 5000 switches
very fast indeed.  Full duplex in the software is the key to all of
this new speed."

I am beginning to wonder if CW in the production software is broken
and only we in the field notice it. Or perhaps the production version
does not presently include features of the version used by Bob above?

When I returned my new 5000a for refund awhile back, it was solely
because of poor CW QSK performance.
I hope to buy another 5000 in the future, but only if/when CW
performance of the production software is improved.

For the phone ops out there who may not understand, QSK is the
ability to actually hear activity on the band between dits at a
reasonable speed. Modern radios like the 756PRO3 and K3 can do it at
30-50 WPM. Both use DSP.

Jerry W4UK