At 05:33 AM 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>How much importance should be given to this topic you ask?  I respect  the
>fact that any audio topic these days can be very subjective and carries many
>different opinions.  But before you cast this topic off to the
>unimportant  bin
>consider this thought. I know several people who are holding off buying a  5k
>until this problem goes away. I might be one of them. So it must
>be  important
>to those not willing to purchase.....and I would think equally  important to
>those that want to sell them.

It has been mentioned before but I did not noticed any comments on
test afterwards. Have people having these problems looked at their
power voltage with an oscilloscope (not a slow meter) while talking
away at full power? If the power supply sags on peaks for whatever
the reason your sound quality will suffer with an AB class amplifier
whose current demand goes all over the place.

I had a similar problem with a Kenwood and it went away when I bought
a much bigger power supply (Linear 35A for a 100W radio) and
connected it to the radio with short twisted 4 gauge wires. My
original power supply had 5 extra amps capacity over stated
requirements, but you could see it sag with voice peaks, the new one
doesn't budge at all.

Cecil
K5NWA
www.softrockradio.org  www.qrpradio.com