On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Harold Rosee<wa5...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It appears to me that a lot of you are having problems, both with the rigs
> and the software.  It appears that the software interface to the computer is
> full of bugs.  I see a lot about lockups, etc.
>
> I have come to the conclusion that it's best to wait a while but I will try
> to remain open minded.
>
> My question is "would you buy this radio again and is it worth all the
> trouble/issues that you guys seem to have?".

Harold,

Remember, you hear a lot less from the people who are having no
trouble than you do with people who are having trouble so it *appears*
that everyone is having trouble when that turns out not to be the case
at all. Most of the problems that people have are due to driver
problems inside Windows. Dedicating a computer to your Flex radio (I
cannot stress this too much) that you already know is working for
someone else, is the best way to get something that will be
immediately trouble-free. So ask what kinds of computers people have
working and then go out and buy one of those.

I have had my F5K for over a year now and love it. It is far and away
the best receiver I have ever used, at any price. Yes, you will see me
in here complaining about this bit or that but that is only because I
can see just how much better it could be and because Flex pays
attention. I would definitely buy an F5K again.

But do consider how much you like to tinker with things. If you are
the type who just wants to use a radio that never changes then the
Flex radios are not for you. But if you like having a radio that just
keeps getting new features, this is definitely the radio for you. The
cost for this is getting software that changes rapidly is that you are
going to get a version now and again that has bugs in it. If that
bothers you, get one of the working releases and use that until the
next stable release. The choice is yours.

Isn't it nice to have a choice?

73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL