I've been using the sdr1000 for the last year or so, and even with having to
use it with a sound card, and all the cabling and such you have to deal
with,(audio in and out of the SDR to the sound card, fire wire to the
computer, parallel cable to the computer, mic plugged into the sound card,
PTT line plugged into Flex, have to use Elecraft XG1 sig generator to
calibrate the software on new installs)
 if there was no other Flex, I wouldn't want another rig.  SDR in my mind is
the way to go, I look at radios as R.F. interfaces, and currently I think
the Flex radios are the best interfaces!

I just ordered a 3000 a few days ago, so I guess I am stuck with the SDR1000
for another month, but that suits me just fine!

73
N4BFD