There is indeed dc on the 5kA phones output.
When I plug in a headphone I hear a loud pop (almost to the
level it makes me think it'll be blown).

I asked once why on earth this is needed, and got the answer that
blocking this DC (by transformers or capacitors) would also block
the lowest audio frequencies.

I simply don't use the headphones output.
BTW: I never heard that high end audio required our equipment to run  DC
through our voice coils.

Rob, PA3CNT

flexradio@flex-radio.biz>:

> Forgot to add grab a voltmeter and check for DC
>
> Bill
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 22, 2014, at 10:04 PM, Bill Guyger via FlexRadio <
> flexradio@flex-radio.biz> wrote:
> >
> > Heating in headphones and speakers is usually caused by D.C. coming out
> of the amp. I underline usually maybe something I'm not considering
> though.....
> >
> > Bill AD5OL
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Nov 22, 2014, at 8:27 PM, Mike Sonn <fatfend...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyone else use earbuds? I've used a set for years with my Flex 3000. I
> >> now have upgraded to a FLEX 5K and when I stuck my earbuds in for the
> >> first time, they were very warm.  I thought I had them leaning against
> >> something warm in the shack, but after sitting on the desk for 10
> >> minutes, they are still warm.  My ear canals won't get cold, but
> >> clearly, there's something strange going on here. Any ideas?

Rob Keijzer
PA3CNT