Jon Berndt writes:

 > > Right.  We allow the users to change the fuel level, so the default in
 > > the JSBSim config file doesn't matter.
 >
 > Hmmmm. I don't like this at all. Why was this done?

1. We have several different FDMs and need a common mechanism for
   setting and displaying fuel levels for all of them.

2. Users need to be able to select an initial fuel level with each
   run, just as in real life -- flying a small plane is often a
   tradeoff between how much fuel you'd like and how much weight you
   can manage.

3. When we restore a saved flight, we want to be able to start with
   the same amount of fuel we had when we saved the flight.

We've done it this way for a year (maybe two) and it generally works
well -- Tony did a good job interfacing it.  Soon, we'll also need an
FDM-independent way of specifying the payload positions.  Note that
the FDMs still manage fuel consumption themselves -- FlightGear just
tells them how much the user wants to start with.

 > Overriding the config file value will confuse people, and make
 > people think something is broken.

We tracked this one down easily enough.  It would be much worse if
there were a different mechanism for fueling JSBSim, LARCsim/UIUC, and
YASim planes.  Please remember that FlightGear is not just a
visualizer for batch-mode aero runs -- people use it to fly
interactively.  A fixed setting in an FDM-specific static init file
isn't sufficient.

All the best,

David

--