Tony Peden wrote:

The point we pick need not have any particular signifigance (we can
calculate a lat/lon/alt for anyplace relative to the aircraft), so why should we pick a point which requires explanation and/or instruction on
our part and more work on the part of the 3D modeler.
The nose is something that everyone can instantly understand and
locate.
<cough>UFO, helicopter, balloon, parachute<cough>

That is not true for the aero ref point, center of gravity, center of
geometry, etc.
Well, to rotate the aircraft realistically the refference point should be known by the 3D modellers, but that aside.

FWIW, I still think the location should be configurable by the 3D
modeler in the FG xml files.  FG would pass that info to the FDM and
it would return the appropriate position or FG would do the calcs
itself.   The wind doesn't seem to be blowing that way, however ...
Maybe the pilot's eye point would be a good start, then the 3D modellers can define thair offset to the models origin in the XML file.

Erik