Julian Foad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> - Someone would modify the function that updates the Flight Gear scene
> graph so that it puts the model geometry at the right position, by
> transforming from "position of nose" to "origin of geometry" (which will
> be different for each aircraft geometry model).

Already done. See:
http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/fgfs-model-howto.html#repositioning

BTW the origin of geometry doesn't _have_ to be different.  In some cases
we'll offset because the model will already be done, and in other cases it
might just be easier to work on if the origin is more or less centered.

> Similarly, any other
> parts of Flight Gear that use this data must be checked and modified if
> necessary.

Like?

> Then move on to another interface, such as the camera/eye position, and
> go through the same thing.  Where do we want the camera or eye to be (or
> to be looking towards)?  Do we have the information that specifies the
> eye position relative to a known position?  If not, it must be added to
> the aircraft config file (probable for the eye position) or calculated
> at run time (possible for a camera look-at point).

We need to be able to offset the "target" in look-at mode.  Currently you can
only offset the camera (eye) from a position.  It's a fairly trivial
modification and addition to the viewer interface.  Each aircraft
configuration (the flight gear one, not the fdm's) currently has a pilot's eye
configuration,  this modification will add data for offsets to the chase view
that won't really change anything other than eliminating the "wagging" effect
and maybe centering the aircraft in the view.

http://www.flightgear.org/Docs/fgfs-viewer-howto.html#offsets

Best,

Jim