On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 10:26, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Tony Peden wrote:
> > --- Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>should

> >>Even when in motion?
> >

> > In the FDM's (all of them, AFAIK), yes. Always.
> > In reality, the aircraft will rotate about the cg in air and some other
> > point if any of the gear are touching the ground.  During takeoff
> > rotation and landing de-rotation, for example, the aircraft will rotate
> > about the main gear.
>
> This confuses me a bit. My gut feeling tels me that the lift generated
> on the various parts of the aircraft (fuselage included) would
> concentrate the aircrafts rotation around its aero reff. point instead
> of CG. Or is this the part where the moving CG comes in place?

No, think about the geometry of the situation.  The gear can't go down
and won't go up prior to liftoff.  So aside from some possible changes
in tire compression, the wheel axles do not translate up or down during
the rotation or de-rotation.

Another way to think about it may be in terms of a lever.  The main gear
act as the fulcrum about which the tail must produce/relieve enough
force to rotate/de-rotate the aircraft.

> Erik

Tony Peden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>