On Wednesday 01 October 2003 20:38, Jim Wilson wrote:
> Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>

> > > Yeah - none of my models could be regarded as low-poly.  Then again,
the
> > > shapes of the models I tend to do are quite complex and not a simple
tube
> > > like the majority of airliners.  There's quite an overhead in doing
the
> > > detail stuff like the engines and u/c, but I try to ameliorate that
by
> > > de-selecting all the u/c stuff when it's retracted.  I figured out
the
> > > single-sided polys thing too:)
> >
> > Don't get me wrong, I do like your models very much. But I hate to see
> > all the models having the same level of details. Some aircraft need a
> > lot of polygons, I can understand that.
> >
> > What I'm hoping is there will be a bunch of good quality low polygons
> > aircraft available also (for people like myself using less than
optimal
> > hardware).
>
> What's the max you can run comfortably?  If you want to do the xml I can
> upload reduced detail versions of some my models.  Let me know which
ones are
> of interest.  Do folks think this is a good idea?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

If it's not too much effort it's got to be worth looking into.  Feel free
to try reducing some of mine if you wish.

I've had a little play with the reduce function in AC3D but to be honest,
it's in the opposite direction to what I want to do.  Once I've decided
on what level of detail I'm going to try to work to, I then try to make
the model as simply as possible while keeping to that standard.  In that
respect, the AN225 model is as simple as I could make it, to the standard
I wanted to make it to.  I could make the model with less polys/vertices
but then it wouldn't meet the standard I want.  Ideally, I'd have liked
to have doubled the mesh densities (see earlier comment about spline
based models).

Having said that, I could probably go through it and manually merge polys
where it would have little effect on the appearence but when I've
actually tried doing that it hasn't made a huge difference to the overall
counts.

Ultimately though, the quality of anything we do has to increase and
without some revolutionary changes in graphics technology this is going
to mean more complex and detailed models.

LeeE