Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Wednesday 01 October 2003 13:39, Erik Hofman wrote:
> > Innis Cunningham wrote:
> > > Hi Lee
> > > Great aircraft.You sure know how to make us feel inadequate.LOL
> >
> > Just to get ahead of every one, the 10,000+ vertices are just too much
> > for my poor O2. One every 20 seconds is slightly too slow for good
> > simulation purposes.

Ouch! Are you sure it is vertices and not texture ram?  Hmmm...I can remember
being blown away by the O2's speed first time I saw one, but that _was_ quite
a while ago. :-)

> Yeah - none of my models could be regarded as low-poly.  Then again, the
> shapes of the models I tend to do are quite complex and not a simple tube
> like the majority of airliners.  There's quite an overhead in doing the
> detail stuff like the engines and u/c, but I try to ameliorate that by
> de-selecting all the u/c stuff when it's retracted.  I figured out the
> single-sided polys thing too:)
>
> The vertex count is also increased by having to split all the surfaces to
> avoid the smoothing glitches - every adjacent pair of edges that have
> been split will have twice the number of vertices but until a better
> solution to the smoothing problem's found I can't see a good way around
> it.

That wouldn't be a glitch in the sense of a model data or rendering bug
though.  Usually if I split something it is because I want a more detailed
shape, with a smoother curve.  IMO that's a good thing, especially in the
hands of someone more skilled than myself :-).  BTW do systems that store
normal data in the model file not have this problem because you can adjust the
shading manually?  I do not have experience with anything like that.

> The poly count is an issue I've thought about quite a lot but I don't
> think I can acheive the same level of detail and smoothness without using
> a lot of polys, and as far as sims are concerned there's an irreversible
> trend towards greater realism where that detail and smoothness is needed.

Yes. If there is enough demand, however, we could scale down the vertices and
add a lowres variant of the bigger models to the base package.  There is an
option right on the ac3d menu to do that.  It'd probably be possible to
organize the model wrappers so that the same animation xml would apply to both
models.

Best,

Jim