"Curtis L. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> I know this is probably comparing apples to oranges, but back when I
> was young and daring, I drove my car about 150 miles with no
> alternator belt.  I survived by making sure every possible electrical
> item was turned off.  If I even hit the turn signal or hit the brakes
> (brake lights) the engine would sputter and nearly die.

Hehe.  I did that...at night...once.  It was a much shorter distance, in rural
Maine, very late at night.  I didn't encountered a single other vehicle on the
road, which is a good thing in a way, but at the same time it reinforced the
likelyhood that my best option was to keep going.  Went _very_ slow after the
headlights had to be turned off :-).  Fortunately, it was a clear night with a
bright moon. Pretty cold without the heater fan though.

Best,

Jim