> And actually, you get quite a variety of
> ammeter variation depending on if you are running battery only, have
> an alternater fail, have the alternator working, have the engine
> running, and or have a lot of devices and lights going.

This change in current must be due to the voltage on the supply changing, thus we
actually need to know the resistance of each load, and the output voltage of each
source. Then the current on the system is then calculated from Ohm's Law, V=IR, or in
this case I=V/R.

You probably need to know internal resistances of each power source as well to do a
proper model, but that might be a step too far in the first instance.

Richard