On Monday 24 January 2005 11:05, Erik Hofman wrote:
> Vivian Meazza wrote:
> > Thanks for this explanation. Why does it only seem to work one way? The
> > description 'enhanced lighting' is not particularly helpful.
>
> Oh, this is about enhanced (runway) lighting. That's a different story,
> I was talking about specular highlights which the original was talking
> about also.

No, i was talking about enhanced runway lightning, this is
what i get when running flightgear with this option:
 --enable-enhanced-lighting

I was not talking about specular highlights.

> > Why is it so expensive of frame-rate?
>
> This is very hardware and driver dependent. Some OpenGL features are
> just not implemented in hardware on some display adapters.

The only consumer videocards we have today are from Ati and NVidia,
do their newest models support this?
If not, then we should move it to the advanced options.

I also want to mention, that MS FS2004 has something similar, but without
framerate drop, so there must be another way to display runway lights in such
a way.

Best Regards,
 Oliver C.