* Thomas Förster -- Monday 11 February 2008:
> At least I think conservative is the right term.

Oh, I didn't think that it was wrongly used. It's just that
the decision was meant to be reasonable for the 9999 case
based on logical considerations, and not the least on whether
it would be (seen as) conservative. And I found the fact that
a clear rendering bug is blamed on METAR or a "conservative"
decision there annoying.

But I like the idea to make an educated guess based on
other METAR values, and I plan to implement that later
today. I'll use a large set of stored METAR messages with
specified (i.e. non-9999 or M*) visibility to see which
elements (other than humidity) have a correlation with the
visibility. BTW: the biggest numbers that I found were
110 miles (KMWN Mount Washington -- not in our DB -- but
there's a KHIE Mount Washington Rgnl!?). (That's assuming
that the 9000 km from HAAB were a mistake. ;-)

m.