* Thomas Förster -- Monday 11 February 2008:
> Note that METAR itself only codes visibility up to 9999 m.

Only if it uses the 4-digit visibility code. But it can also be
something like "KEDW 110755Z 24006KT 45SM SCT250 04/M01 A3014"
where the visibility is 45SM ... 45 (statute) miles.

> Everything above comes out of the report as 9999 too. [...]

Yes, *iff* a four digit code is used, then 9999 means "more
than 10 km.

> Think someone did a conservative choice here.

Conservative? If we have to make something up because there is
no information, should we then take something that makes fgfs
crawl and look ugly, or rather something faster and prettier?
We chose the latter. What would you have done?

m.