* Heiko Schulz -- Monday 11 February 2008:
> Even with a visibility more than 30m I can't see much impact.

Well, 30m isn't much. No impact here, either.  :-}

* Stuart Buchanan -- Monday 11 February 2008:
> I'm sure you alreay know the answer : Make it a property value in
> preferences.xml, defaulting to 10km :)

That's a possibility. But I'd rather try to make a guess based
on relative humidity and maybe other components of a given METAR
message. Then we have more variability for the 9999 case, and MP
machines still have the same weather (as long as they are using
METAR weather and don't manually change visibility via z/Z). This
could, of course, be coupled with a visibility-max-m property.

> Of course, the 12nm "island" may be due to an assumption that
> the maximum visibility will be 10km, so it may not just be case
> of replacing the constant...

The "islang bug" has nothing to do with METAR. Not directly,
anyway. We didn't change METAR in the fg/plib -> fg/osg
transition.

m.