On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Martin Spott wrote:

> The above comments still don't tell us much about how things are
> supposed to work, they leave too much room for vague guesses.
>
> To make the story short: If IVAO is really serious about getting
> FlightGear on-board, they should approach FlightGear with a precise
> idea a) if they have a serious offer to make in terms of network
> interoperability and b) what they expect FlightGear to deliver.
> Otherwise, with no dependable information on their hands, I don't
> expect that people are going to to spend relevant effort on this topic.

Hi Martin,

I believe this is the whole point of Pep bringing up the subject on the
FlightGear mailing list.  He would like to work towards a concrete proposal,
and this is the preliminary discussion phase.  Let's not beat up the
messenger [too much], ok! :-)

I still agree with the consensus that IVAO has placed themselves in a
position that makes it very awkward to collaborate with an open-source
project.  They clearly are focused around a "plug-in" model of add ons, but
because FlightGear is open-source, supports a large variety of platforms,
and isn't stuck in a closed-propriety model, we have steered away from
plugins.  Even if we did support a plug in system, I'm 99.9999% certain we
would have to ensure that all plugins are full open-source.  This is not a
way we can circumvent the GPL.

Pep has stated that he's not a member of the IVAO inner circle, but hopes to
approach them with a clearly thought out plan that is well supported.  So I
think it's worth trying our best to help him brain storm and see if we can
find a workable way to push foward.

Perhaps Pep needs to first collect a list of the relevant issues we've
discussed and take that to the IVOA board to see what their response is.  If
they are not willing to bend or discuss some different ways to move forward,
then there may not be much we can do.  But if they are willing to listen to
common sense and would like to come some distance in our direction to help
work within the constraints imposed by our open-source approach, then
perhaps we can find a way to move forward and reach a concrete and well
designed proposal.

Regards,

Curt.
--