"Pep Ribal" wrote:

> Regarding why IVAO keeps their protocols closed being a free
> community, what I've been always answered is that's for security
> reasons. So explaining them that the mentioned open gateway for FG
> wouldn't be a security issue is crucial. Developing it in a way that
> takes security into consideration would be important. I need to tell
> them how security issues will be addressed.

You/they should probably start by explaining to FG developers/users
which sort of "security" - what an elastic term ! - is meant to be
achieved by not publishing the network protocol.
In other words: The simple fact that there's no officially blessed copy
of the network protocol spec floating around actually doesn't buy IVAO
not even the slightest "security" at all. If somone really aims at
messing with the IVAO air traffic then they're simply going to grab an
inofficial copy of such spec or do the reverse engineering themselves.
This might be a point which I think deserves to get addressed.

Finally, if the sort of IVAO's security needs become apparent, then
you/we have a hook that allows to start arguing from there. One item
which certainly has still to be resolved is the fact that FlightGear's
MP protocol currently doesn't provide robust authentication mechanisms
and without knowing about the actual "security" requirements it would
be quite difficult to properly add the required feature.

BTW, how would the practical process of authenticating the user be
done with the INL. Does INL authenticate against the servers using some
sort of authentication token which resides on the disk and which has to
placed there by the user after signing up with IVAO ?

Cheers,
        Martin.