"Curtis Olson" wrote:

> I believe this is the whole point of Pep bringing up the subject on the
> FlightGear mailing list.  He would like to work towards a concrete proposal,
> and this is the preliminary discussion phase.  Let's not beat up the
> messenger [too much], ok! :-)

I'm sorry if this was the 'sound' of my posting - this was definitely
not the intention. After 'investigating' a bit I'm getting the
impression that the "inner circle", how you call it, at IVAO thinks
everyone's going to kiss their feet if they just permit FlightGear
users to join their network ....  which might turn out not to happen
this way  :-)

Finally people like Pep are left pretty much alone in thin air while
trying to lay the path for such process: Even though it's their duty,
the "inner circle" simply didn't bother about preparing the messenger
with appropriate information. Therefore my proposal to the messenger
would be to let him request a detailed set of instructions and limits -
now he knows that the closed-source library won't make it.
As long as the messenger has not been properly instructed about the
limits he's permitted to act within during negotiations, I'd say the
whole situation is far too foggy.

On the other hand, it's obvious that FlightGear (the "inner circle"  :-)
would be in duty to propose some sort of authentication layer for their
network protocol(s) if people would like to make collaboration with
IVAO happen. Let the religious war begin ....  ;-))

Cheers,
        Martin.