Arnt Karlsen wrote:

>>> perhaps the simplest means of resolution would be for the infringing party
>>> to take down the screen shots, take their
>>> own screen shots, and apologise for the mistake.
>>>
>> Agreed.  :-)
>>
> ..under GPLv2, they _also_ need to ask _every_ copyright owner
> violated, for a _new_ _explicit_ permission to distribute.
> GPLv3 is more lenient, here you must "just" comply.

Hmm, I'm not sure why you are bringing the GPL to the screen shot
discussion...

We know that:
    The screen shots are not GPL.
    The code is GPL.
    The subject has infringed the copyright of the screen shots.
    They claim they have not infringed the terms of the GPL.

No other license has been given for the screen shots, the GPL does not
apply to them.  The GPL does still stand for the code itself and the
person infringing the screen shot copyrights can continue to distribute
the code under GPL without seeking further permission to do so, so long
as they meet the GPL conditions for the code which is licensed under the
GPL.

This of course does not change the fact that in order to use a screen
shot one must obtain permission from the copyright holder of that image
-- or cease to use the image and beg forgiveness, which is probably the
much more likely solution than getting permission.

---
James Sleeman