On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:15:08 +1300, James wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> Agreed.  :-)
> >>
> > ..under GPLv2, they _also_ need to ask _every_ copyright owner
> > violated, for a _new_ _explicit_ permission to distribute.
> > GPLv3 is more lenient, here you must "just" comply.
> >
> Hmm, I'm not sure why you are bringing the GPL to the screen shot
> discussion...

..I am?  I thought I was responding to Melchior talking about his
rights under copyright law and the GLPv2 to his own code.

> We know that:
>     The screen shots are not GPL.

..which means you had _no_ permission to put them on your or Andrew's
etc websites.  ;o)

>     The code is GPL.

..correct, and I was just pointing out Melchior's right to deny you
guys the commercial re-branded sale of his code under GPLv2.  ;o)

>     The subject has infringed the copyright of the screen shots.
>     They claim they have not infringed the terms of the GPL.

..how interesting, urls?  ;o)

> No other license has been given for the screen shots, the GPL does
> not apply to them.  The GPL does still stand for the code itself and
> the person infringing the screen shot copyrights can continue to
> distribute the code under GPL without seeking further permission to

..I would have consulted the relevant GPL version before
drawing such bombastic conclusions.  ;o)

> do so, so long as they meet the GPL conditions for the code which is
> licensed under the GPL.
>
> This of course does not change the fact that in order to use a screen
> shot one must obtain permission from the copyright holder of that
> image -- or cease to use the image and beg forgiveness, which is
> probably the much more likely solution than getting permission.

..not to mention the probable punitive tremble damages.  ;o)

> ---
> James Sleeman

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: