A suggestion: Read the whole message first, then reply :-)

You think commercial fonts like Arial are perfect, and that TNR is the
path to Nirvana. They are not -- they are just "good enough" and if
want to make them better than that, you cannot -- you are simply not
allowed. This what the concept of Free fonts are supposed to avoid,
and this is what freedom is about. To have the freedom to redistribute
is one of the other issues.

How would you like it if you were not allowed to improve your
Mercedes (yes, not everyone can improve Mercedes, but I believe some
can)? How about not being allowed to look under the hood?

Then you say no one can make good fonts for free. Well, Linux is how
many millions lines of code? What about XFree86? Who would have
thought it was possible (that was just 2 examples)? Some get paid for
improving these projects and some don't, and the same could applied
to font development.

Main fonts aren't like "just another windows manager", fonts is a
pretty basic and important part of a functional graphical system that
cannot be ignored. I'm not expecting RedHat to contribute financially
to this in the near future, but that's understandable because there
are other even more basic system parts that aren't finished
yet. However, I believe that at some point in the future the focus
will shift and we will see more improvements in the area of fonts (and
everything that has to do with them, like for example Unicode support).

I have nothing against you using Microsoft's fonts. If you are
satisfied with the fonts Microsoft provides, then "shut up and be
happy" so to speak :-) Really, if you don't want to contribute to Free
font projects, no one is trying to make you. I don't understand why
you are so negative of the whole idea that other people might like?
Remember the philosophy about having a choice?

time. Yes, it will take long time. Is that your only objection? How
long it will to make some Free usable fonts is something neither you
nor I can predict, but time is irrelevant. Time will not give you more
freedom. You can wait an eternity for Microsoft to fix/extend Arial
and nothing will happen -- is that your choice?

What is it exactly that YOU suggest? Do you suggest that we settle
with fonts from Microsoft? Do you suggest that we settle with fonts
with restrictions such as, quoted from EULA, not be able to reverse
engineer, decompile, disassemble, rename, edit, create any derivative
works or distribute for profit?

I suggest we create a foundation for creation of fonts where there is
community that promotes sharing of fonts types, designs and ideas
with a goal to create great fonts that all people can enjoy. A single
person cannot make a great font, but a community can (this is
something I choose to believe until someone convinces me of something
else).

Vadim Plessky wrote:
> I can assure you that typical (Windows) users is not aware that
> something against Arial and TNR exist.

I can assure you that typical (Windows) users are not aware that
something better than Windows exists. Your logic is simply flawed, or
just doesn't apply here.

> As experienced users are already happy on subject, I see no way how
> your proposal can succeed.

Perhaps YOU are satisfied with existing fonts from XFree86 and
Microsoft, but I am not. Of course, I could spend thousands of
dollars on Adobe font collections, but I don't see why it should be
the only alternative. Do you?

For example, right now I use Andale Mono in my XTerms. Well, you know
what? There is no bold style for it, and that actually sucks. What do
you suggest in this case? Ask Microsoft to make such style? Also, the
vertical bar for border drawings is too short so there are gaps in the
borders. Can I fix this legally? Can I share my improvements with you
in a simple manner?

> Don't you expect that newbies will design/hint fonts, do you?

Heh, of course not, just as I don't expect newbies making kernel
device drivers (or even patches for that matter).

--
Sergej Malinovski [http://dreamer.nitro.dk]