Simon Pepping wrote:
I do not believe that the patch is mature for committing to the trunk
code. See above. Luca, do you share my view?

If I see it right, then Luca should work on his patch some
more. Perhaps others could help with that work if he would want
that. In such a situation it may be a good strategy to commit the
patch to a branch of the HEAD of the trunk, so that it can be
developed without problems with other work.

Simon, yes! That's what branching is there for. People seem to be afraid of it, but it is an enormously useful tool for just such situations. I think it's always a good idea to tag the tree immediately before a branch.