<warning>Newbie alert</warning>

I've been given the assignment of generating .PDFs from .XML files.
So I've installed FOP, and had it working mostly successfully from
the command line (i.e., the /fop/examples/fo will compile).

What I need to do now is to create an .XSL file, which will create the
.FO file ... and you know the rest. Problem is, I didn't write the .XML
file and I'm at a novice level in all of this. So I'd like to build the
.XSL file incrementally, seeing if I can print single tags from the .XML
file, and then successively adding tags until I have a generalized
solution that will work on whatever .XML file we feed it which obeys
the given schema.

Right now, I'm getting an error message, "fo:flow must contain block-level
children", which I don't know what to do with.  My input xsl code is this
(with nonessentials removed):

  <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <xsl:apply-templates select="Title" />
  </fo:flow>

  . . .

  <xsl:template match="[EMAIL PROTECTED]'title_1']">
    <fo:block
      font-size="24pt" line-height="28pt" text-align="start"
      font-family="Helvetica" font-weight="bold" color="blue"
      space-after.optimum="12pt">
      <xsl:value-of select="Title" />
    </fo:block>
  </xsl:template>

I want to insert the value of the <Title> tag if there is a
t_style attribute of "title_1".  And as you might guess, later
on if the attribute says "title_2", I select a different font
size, color, and so forth.

I don't know why this error message is occurring, since I think
the "block-level children" are invoked by the match. I would
also like some pointers, web links or ideas on building an
.XSL file in stages, since I seem to be failing even on the
first steps. Thanks in advance.

--
Eric Pement - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Education Technical Services, MBI