Eric Pement wrote:
Right now, I'm getting an error message, "fo:flow must contain block-level
children", which I don't know what to do with.

It means exactly what it says.

<fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body"> <xsl:apply-templates select="Title" /> </fo:flow> . . . <xsl:template match="[EMAIL PROTECTED]'title_1']"> <fo:block

Chances are that your template isn't matched for whatever reason, and the flow turns out empty or perhaps with text supplied from default templates.

I don't know why this error message is occurring, since I think
the "block-level children" are invoked by the match.

Well, inspect the FO file to be *sure*.

I would
also like some pointers, web links or ideas on building an
.XSL file in stages, since I seem to be failing even on the
first steps. Thanks in advance.

Buy Mike Kay's book on XSLT (ISBN 1861005067) and perhaps D.Pawsons book about XSLFO (ISBN 0596003552) and work through the examples. It is usually unwise to learn a new technology on the job.

Victor: as usual, something for the ressources page?

J.Pietschmann