And yes the reason it is returning modem not found is because it is
probably trying to configure your phone modem. Hook up the USB device,
just before you see the dmesg so that you can see the information
about it in the end. Or if you want issue this command
"tail -f /var/log/messages" and then insert your USB to get the
detailed view of whats going on. It should work, because as i said
earlier it is the same modem that I am currently using to write to
you.

--
Shishir Jha
EPC 1970,GPO 8975,