usb 3-1: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

since you have this line in the dmesg, it means that your modem is
being recognised and being addressed at /dev/ttyUSB0. So what you can
do is replace your current /etc/wvdial.conf with this content. It
works for me, hopefully it work for you too.

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT&FH0M0
New PPPD = yes
Phone = #777
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = <username>
Password = <password>
Baud = 115200

I use the same converter but in a CDMA post paid phone and it works
perfectly. So give it a try and dont be hopeless, its all about trying
getting it right and letting everyone know how you did it. That is
what Linux is all about

Cheers

--
Shishir Jha