Hi,

as I'd really like to see a release soon I did look through all these
miscellaneous files we have inside the repository:
- I fixed a few minor issues, like wrong version number in docs.
- packaging/debian and packaging/gentoo contain ancient files referring
to freecol 0.3.0 and Java 1.4. These have been changed by the packagers
meanwhile. We may want to delete them as we dont use them or update them
to have newer examples for other packagers.
- I tried to find which version of jsmooth (the exe wrapper for Windows)
we are using and no file contained a version number. Later I found a
commit message saying we use 0.99-7 already, which is the "newest"
version. In reality this is a dead project not updated since 2007,
with no commits in CVS since 2008 (they really use CVS, but Sourceforge
did not restore their repo up until today).
- I stumbled upon a forum post saying jsmooth does not support 64bit,
but dont know if its true. So testing the installation again would be
nice before a release (without Java installed and with only 64bit Java
installed, though remember trying it when we had the izpack problem.
Maybe a switch to something else, maybe Launch4j, might be a good idea.
- I tried building a Windows installer and even got the Freecol.pdf
to get built for the first time, after installing MiKTeX 64bit net.
There I wondered why the developer.tex is not built, should we add it
to the build.xml where it is missing?
- Building the installer failed, as there is something wrong with
the build.xml, it can not find the translation helper:
     [java] Could not find net.sf.freecol.tools.InstallerTranslations. Make sure
 you have it in your classpath
Its also weird that some translations are hardcoded in build.xml, when
the helper would choose them automatically depending on how complete
they are. Is that intentional?
- All kinds of unnecessary things get copied to the dist directory, but
not sure if they then get packaged as that did not work. We may want
to prevent this.
- We have some asset files which are unused. Some may be deleted and some
moved to some other folder to prevent them from getting packaged.
Then I could clean up references to them in resources.properties.
- We dont use 2 of the 3 font types we bundle and I dont know if these
should get used again and how to make sure there are no missing glyphs
the currently used fonts Java provides have?
- Still need to download the jsmooth GUI helper and check all options,
as I found suspicious references to Java 1.2 and 1.4 in some config file
and am not sure it these are just for the wrapper or the game.
- Also need to check if izpack can be updated, as I remember there've
been new versions of it, which may help with the problems we had with it.

It'd be nice if you had answers for all my questions.

PS: The SF outage made me think it may be nice to not depend on only
one website. I had found someone had uploaded most of the newest commits
in Freecol git to github, but many other things I needed were only on SF.
If something stops working you suddenly see how many projects have
their website and downloads only there.
You sure have backups of the complete SVN and bug/feature trackers?

Greetings,

wintertime