On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:48:51 +0200
win...@genial.ms wrote:
> as I'd really like to see a release soon

Its imminent.  I have been happily playtesting during the outage, and
only found one outright bug, now fixed.  I think we are nearly ready
to go.  As of this morning though I could not access the website.
That obviously blocks the release, but I also need to delete a few
files there that Caleb cleaned up a while ago from the git master.

> I did look through all these miscellaneous files we have inside the
> repository:
> - I fixed a few minor issues, like wrong version number in docs.
> - packaging/debian and packaging/gentoo contain ancient files referring
> to freecol 0.3.0 and Java 1.4. These have been changed by the packagers
> meanwhile. We may want to delete them as we dont use them or update them
> to have newer examples for other packagers.

Go for it.

> - I tried to find which version of jsmooth (the exe wrapper for Windows)
> we are using and no file contained a version number. Later I found a
> commit message saying we use 0.99-7 already, which is the "newest"
> version. In reality this is a dead project not updated since 2007,
> with no commits in CVS since 2008 (they really use CVS, but Sourceforge
> did not restore their repo up until today).

CVS.  How quaint.

> - I stumbled upon a forum post saying jsmooth does not support 64bit,
> but dont know if its true. So testing the installation again would be
> nice before a release (without Java installed and with only 64bit Java
> installed, though remember trying it when we had the izpack problem.
> Maybe a switch to something else, maybe Launch4j, might be a good
> idea.

Caleb was having trouble a while back (BR#2790), which may have been
fixed by git.428e836.  You tell me --- are we seeing successful 64-bit
windows installs with 0.11.3?  If so, jsmooth is presumably still
operating.  I do not have much useful to contribute here.  You are
clearly in a much better position to work on this.

> - I tried building a Windows installer and even got the Freecol.pdf
> to get built for the first time, after installing MiKTeX 64bit net.

Cool.  So we are one step closer to being able to do a release build
on windows again.

> There I wondered why the developer.tex is not built, should we add it
> to the build.xml where it is missing?

Whoever added developer.tex did not make it part of the release
upload.  I suspect the idea is that developers have a source tree and
can run TeX on it locally.

> - Building the installer failed, as there is something wrong with
> the build.xml, it can not find the translation helper:
>      [java] Could not find net.sf.freecol.tools.InstallerTranslations.
> Make sure you have it in your classpath

Yes, there is text somewhere (developer.tex?) saying to ignore this.
I do not know what the story is there.

> Its also weird that some translations are hardcoded in build.xml, when
> the helper would choose them automatically depending on how complete
> they are. Is that intentional?

No idea alas.  Sounds like it could be improved, but I am not sure it
buys us much.

> - All kinds of unnecessary things get copied to the dist directory, but
> not sure if they then get packaged as that did not work. We may want
> to prevent this.

Quite so.

> - We have some asset files which are unused. Some may be deleted and some
> moved to some other folder to prevent them from getting packaged.
> Then I could clean up references to them in resources.properties.

If they are unused feel free to delete them.  We can always get them
back.

> - We dont use 2 of the 3 font types we bundle

Which ones?  I have never been in favour of bundling fonts, unless
they are not readily available (which would be the case with our
"header" font I assume).  If we can clean these up that would be a
win.

> and I dont know if these
> should get used again and how to make sure there are no missing glyphs
> the currently used fonts Java provides have?

I think it is better to use the standard Java fonts where reasonably
possible, and delegate to them the responsibility of providing a rich
set of glyphs.  AFAICT they are pretty good ATM on linux at least.
Are you aware of missing glyph problems?

As usual, I would not be exercising the accented characters much,
outside the national colony names.  However I have been experimenting
with some annotations for my tweaks to reports like trade and colony
--- we currently sometimes append a "*" for colonies with a customs
house, but it would be nice to be able to see other interesting
features, like the stockade-type or shipyard-type buildings.  So I
have a patch which uses some obscure unicode symbols, and as yet I
have not found anything missing in the 4-hex-digit range when using
the default text font.  The newer stuff in the 1XXXX range are not
well supported though.

> - Still need to download the jsmooth GUI helper and check all options,
> as I found suspicious references to Java 1.2 and 1.4 in some config file
> and am not sure it these are just for the wrapper or the game.
> - Also need to check if izpack can be updated, as I remember there've
> been new versions of it, which may help with the problems we had with it.

IIRC that was last touched in git.428e836.

> It'd be nice if you had answers for all my questions.

Sorry to disappoint.  Lots of this is stuff I have never worked on (or
barely understand what I did do, which would be anything in
build.xml), or was all in place before I joined the project, or is
windows related.

> PS: The SF outage made me think it may be nice to not depend on only
> one website. I had found someone had uploaded most of the newest commits
> in Freecol git to github, but many other things I needed were only on SF.
> If something stops working you suddenly see how many projects have
> their website and downloads only there.

I was mostly unaffected by the outage.  Any new work I found to do
could be done in my local git tree.  I was the lucky one who had made
the last commit:-) so currency was not a problem.  A minor issue is
that my patch queue is now annoyingly large, but a lot of that is just
due to not wanting to touch the strings pre-release.  So, I think you
have a slight point, perhaps we should have a nightly backup of the
git tree at a secondary location.

> You sure have backups of the complete SVN and bug/feature trackers?

Not the SVN, I regard that as archival.  I have notes and a
synchronized copy of the current open BR and PFs.  I also regard
closed bugs as archival, and IRs are just not important enough ATM.

Cheers,
Mike Pope