(retransmit, sf.net mailserver disliked me).

Op 4-5-2011 11:08, dos386 schreef:
As noted somewhere on this list, FreeDOS 1.1 is supposed to
come out now 2011 (same had been previously promised for
2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 too) after kernel 2040 comes out.

Once 2040 is out a new FreeDOS distribution would be nice indeed. Why 2040? It's supposed to fix some FAT corruption issues (and other stuff), making kernel 2035/36/37/38/39 obsolete, as well as giving a definitive version of the SYS program. Personally I've started updating the "1.0 with extras and full sources' ISO a bit on my own machine, which is going pretty slow as updating files and packages is boring, while messing around with batch scripts is more challenging. Finding all the bug reports related to 1.0 and solving those issues in a new 1.1 isn't fun either, but still something that has to be done at some point.

I think Jim, Pat, Blair or Jeremy might be working on 1.1, just as was done for 1.0. I'm experimenting too much without ever finishing anything, to be of any use.
Some personal suggestions of mine what should come in:

Thanks for coming up with suggestions instead of only above mentioned part :)
FREECOM (updated (in progress ?) or not (from 2003))

Still same one I guess, unless Jeremy, Pat or Blair succeeded in improving things like porting to Openwatcom for example.
MEM (???)

at 1.11 or 1.12 if I remember, while FD 1.0 shipped with MEM 1.10
HIMEMX 3.32 or 3.33 (the "early-80386-BUG" is not "officially" fixed)

Not aware of this bug, guess you notified Japheth? I'd prefer a super-memory driver (all in one, something like JEMMEX with "/xms286", "/xms386" and /"xmsx64" options) but gifted coders so far have decided otherwise :)
JEMM 5.74
The only option as it's Japheth's further development of all the work done on by Tom Ehlert, Michael Devore and others on EMM386
CTMOUSE
Can't even remember which version this is at, and if it replaces all previous 1.x and 2.x branches with different hardware interface methods.
Bret's USBDOS (free&  OS, not GPL)
Downloaded it, not worked with it yet.

Editors:

FreeDOS EDIT (the BUG is still in ...)
what bug? I've had issues with files being truncated if saved version didn't fit in low free space situations. Guess EDIT 0.9 should be added, hope it can open files with 64K+ file size

INFOPAD (very good, from 3.95 or later, possibly best editor
for 80386 and above, bugs are fixed, patch-in full DOS32A)
Worth looking up if I can ever find this mail again once done with all other stuff.

WATTCOM (anyone dares to reduce the bloat before adding ???)
What bloat? I remember years ago Arkady made zip files for DOS, simply replacing the contents by Openwatcom 1.9 files should work?

HX (2.14 2008-03 ??? 2.16 2009-11 ??? "secret" update
from 2010 ??? there are both improvements and regressions ...)

wouldn't CWSDPMI (0.7) and HX be enough, instead of adding all the other extenders as well?

RayeR's MUPDF DGJPP port
This looked pretty good, of what I noticed on BTTR forums. Any reason to still provide XPDF? or does that serve a different version?

UNTGZKIR http://jafile.com/uploads/dos386/untgzkir.zip (very good, OS& PD !!!)
I can't recall anyone working with (gzip'd) TAR files under DOS.

UNRAR ??? (bad license)
What bad license issue? Every program able to unpack RAR archives has this license limitation (namely, not to use its sources to build a RAR archiver)

MPLAYER latest Mik's binary (if anyone has the source,
I'm not among them) Theora broken, WebM NO, sound NO

MPLAYER latest Khusraw's binary (if anyone has the source,
I'm not among them) Theora broken, WebM YES, sound YES

MPLAYER some Sherpya's binary Theora fixed (maybe),
WebM YES, sound NO (needs testing)
hunting binaries for different implementations, fun :(
ARACHNE 1.95 (remove garbage before adding ???) HTTPS:NO

DRDOS wiki at drdos.org has something about a Webkit-engine based browser called OWB (open web browser) binary running under HX, no further info though.
MBTCP + TOOLS
You ment MTCP ? Still patiently awaiting WGET using this (faster and likely lower disksize compared to WATTCP32 WGET), FTP scripts aren't my favourite for downloading programs.

FBMD5 http://jafile.com/uploads/dos386/fbmd5.zip
I think Blair still has an MD5SUM program. Not verified yet if it works properly, I remember some issues with a very early release, assume those were fixed soon after.
PCI (the PCI tool, free and OS)
Any PCI detection tool exists that works with compressed data files? Leaning towards some Syslinux components like HDT and CHAIN32.