On Sep 11, 2011, at 5:36 PM, jhall wrote:

>>> There are multitasking DOSes (DR-DOS, RDOS, TSX-32 ??, etc.)
>>
>> inherently useless
>

> Not useless, really. For example, MS-DOS 5 introduced their DOS
> Shell that supported task switching, a rudimentary form of
> multitasking.
>
> I used to use this feature all the time as a student: for example,
> to run a word processor and spreadsheet program as separate tasks.
> I think I usually had a command.com shell in there too. That let me
> write up my data analysis for labs much faster, because I could
> quickly jump back to the spreadsheet or my own analysis program to
> look at results, then describe it using the word processor.
>
> I'd love to see this as a feature added to FreeDOS one day.
There's always vmix, it's pretty good, and actually does true
multitasking.  Last I saw, it was trying to become an os in it's own
right, where it could be used as a dos replacement.  I don't think
this got very far, but if I recall correctly, it is on sourceforge,
or something similar.
That program worked so well, my screen reader would read all the
active windows simultaneously, which really reaked havoc with
understanding what was going on, but it did work, and worked very
well. :)
Perhaps freedos could talk to the vmix folks, and ask them to release
code to the 2.67 version, so we could include it into freedos as it's
own shell, or something similar (or was the latest 2.87, I forget)
It may be worth a try though.