Hi,

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 4:36 PM, jhall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> There are multitasking DOSes (DR-DOS, RDOS, TSX-32 ??, etc.)
>
> inherently useless
>
> Not useless, really. For example, MS-DOS 5 introduced their DOS Shell that
> supported task switching, a rudimentary form of multitasking.

You could also (allegedly) just change your Win3x or Win9x "shell="
line (system.ini ??) to command.com and use BootGUI=0 (or whatever).
Or such.   ;-)

> I'd love to see this as a feature added to FreeDOS one day.

Of course! I mean, there are advantages to not multitasking (believe
it or not) *sometimes*, but most people, myself included, would enjoy
being able to compile in the background (or download a file, etc).

Anyways, I honestly have not researched this much, just like most
everybody else, so I've only somewhat used DR-DOS 7.03 and various
Windows and DOSEMU. In other words, far from exhaustive.

Nevertheless, here's some *more* links that may prove useful for
future reference, though I admit to not having memorized them, studied
them, investigated fully, etc. Just enjoy a quick read, don't take it
too seriously! (VMIX [sysdev] sounds particularly interesting, but
I've got no patience right now to try to bother with its curious, very
very interesting, but somewhat dubious, licensing.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM/386
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-MOS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL/32
http://www.sysdev.org/