Gary,

No, no, not you.  I didn't mean you...sorry.  You've been helpful...more
so, you've shown a willingness to help.  Thanks for that.

I followed your suggestion about looking deeper into the list archives,
and have progressed a bit further (i think).  I stumbled upon PEAP, and configured
my client to use mschapv2, thus answering the question of how to send LDAP username &
password to radius.  This is all with EAP-TLS working (as far as I can
tell).  However, there's one catch...

While running radiusd in debug mode, watching the output while the client
authenticates (sends username & password), it seems to get caught in a
"loop"...same output over & over again, and the client never gets totally
authenticated.  The output appears to indicate that the ldap auth and eap
auth were both successful, but this is where it keeps looping...over and over again,
keeps saying both were successful.  Unless I'm just misinterpreting the output
(that's VERY likely).  I've attached some of the output to this email (hope that's
ok...seemed to big to include in the body of the message).

I am using a gentoo ebuild of freeradius now, but will look into the
1.0.0-pre1 version.  I did notice that many of the posts assumed the users were on a
1.0.0-pre1
build.  If nothing else, I can at least read thru the different docs included in that
build, as you've suggested.

Ready for a really dumb question?  What does "ymmv" mean?  I've often seen
it on lists/boards, but have never seen a translation.

Thanks for the help,
mack