Mack,

Take a look at the following URL:

http://3w.denobula.com:50000/EAPTLS.pdf

It may be a little dated but all of the info is still relevent... one thing to take
notice of is
there is NO user password exchanged as EAP/TLS does not use a user's password
for authentication - that chore is handled by the fact the supplicant contains a VALID
user certificate the server recognizes.

I think the above is what Alan is trying to convey to you - you can not use EAP/TLS
and LDAP together as there is NO user password exchanged between the supplicant and
Freeradius (or any other radius server) in that mode.  If you are looking to use LDAP
and
a very secure method for the link between the client and the AP you will have to use a
different method (PEAP or EAP/TTLS come to mind)...

You may want to check out other supplicant software (if you are thinking of using the
EAP/TTLS method you may want to check out the Odyssey Supplicant software from
Funk Software (they are the one's who came up with TTLS and are working on a RFC
to that effect).

I may not have stated all of the above totally correctly but you should get the basic
meaning.... [grin]...

There are several RFC's that come with the freeradius package - I would strongly
suggest
reading them as they are the basis for all the different protocols and authentication
methods
Alan and company have based the Freeradius software against ( I think )....

I hope the above information is helpful and taken in the manner in which it was meant
(to be
informative and helpful)...

gm...